Dirt Rally 2.0 Thread - Team VVV
Home » Topics » Racing Gaming » Dirt Rally 2.0 Thread
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    TylerDurden4321TylerDurden4321
    Participant

That’s an excellent question and I’ve added it to the OP. I confess I had no idea about this handbrake issue, will certainly make the Group B cars more interesting to drive. It seems like some cars may have had a handbrake but diff settings in the cars made the use of it unworkable in some cases depending on how the car was set-up. I’ll be sure to ask the developer the question.

Thank you, Alan!

On the bolded:
    I remember Walter Röhrl mentioning how hard it was for him to adapt to the AWD Audi. He was already a two-time world champion and tried to force his old driving style on the Audi, giving up after excessive training, when he was just too slow. Before the Audi, he only ever used his right foot for braking and now not only had to learn left foot braking, but also switching it up, sometimes left, sometimes right foot braking.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Walter Röhrl is the stuff of legend and what is event more amazing is that all of this was tested in real cars, flat out with little in the way of protection. No simulators to practice on, or additional training techniques to rewire his mind. To drive at his level, everything has to form as an instinctive reaction, so add changing feet on the brake to the mix and the level of practice increases exponentially.

This all makes the potential of Group B so much more, especially with the obviously complexity of the stages.

Kribs
    Participant

Can you ask the devs to add a wrc onboard style camera for replays as in on the co driver side?

Bob Jenkins
    Participant

Walter Röhrl is the stuff of legend and what is event more amazing is that all of this was tested in real cars, flat out with little in the way of protection. No simulators to practice on, or additional training techniques to rewire his mind. To drive at his level, everything has to form as an instinctive reaction, so add changing feet on the brake to the mix and the level of practice increases exponentially.
    This all makes the potential of Group B so much more, especially with the obviously complexity of the stages.

Don’t forget about Michelle Mouton, in 1985 she was overall winner at Pikes Peak which seemed to really get under Bobby Unser’s skin and he wasn’t being quiet about it, her response was to simply state “If you have the balls you can try to race me back down as well.”

On the subject of Group B and handbrakes, the early Quattros could do handbrake turns, but the co-driver had to pull a lever that would unlock the centre differential solving the problem of locking all four wheels up.

Now regarding DR2.0, Alan, I’ve seen it in the footage you’ve uploaded and it’s something that has been driving me bonkers since the EA period for DR1, I know it’s a rather fickle thing but the wipers just randomly wiping does my head in. Co-driver calls out 5 left, don’t cut, be brave and then the wipers, wipe breaking my concentration and sending me off into the vegetation. Codies said it was fixed with Dirt 4, which it was to a point, one
    could set the wipers to manual but that didn’t stop those random wipes, so starting each stage I’d have to cycle thru the wiper speeds and then hold the button for 10 seconds just to stop the things randomly wiping. It makes starting a stage rather hectic, changing gears, the occasional yank on the handbrake while dealing with the wipers.
    I’m not expecting it to be fixed because I am probably the only one that gets distracted by it, but I figure it can’t hurt to throw it out there.

FinBarLayFinBarLay
    Participant

Hi,
    Can you ask the devs about he decision not to support VR at launch ?
    Surely they had done a lot of the hard work by including VR for the original Dirt Rally.
    I know they have said they might look into it after launch, but with DLC already signposted, I don’t hold out much hope on that one…

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope that this new Dirt rally 2.0 is a step towards the hardcore simulation, an upgrade of the first Dirt rally, without falling into the ridicule of presenting two special stages long at each rally, then shorten, change the name, crossing the two directions. I hope there are no more problems of rebound than the first Dirt rally (example: the gravel brought back in galles, touch with the back or front = fly on mars).
    I hope that there is more asphalt in the dlc. I hope that the special stages are real, include all the conditions of a real special stage, or change the width of the roadway, real climbs, descents, changes in slope, very tight bends, inversions … the style of the col turini and acropolis in the first dirt rally.
    I hope for more severe and real damages. ending up in a ditch must lead to a withdrawal in the event of a violent collision. a garage in the street must pay 40 seconds of penalty, in a video I saw 4 seconds … too little.
    I am curious about the deformation of the surfaces, the choice of tires … I would like the dynamic weather. nice start reporting on dirt rally the control of the end of the special stage as it was present on dirt4.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Thanks for all of the questions guys, I’ve added them to the OP for inclusion. Can you all say hello in the new members section https://www.teamvvv.com/forums/forum/f-a-q/ would be great to learn more about your racing gaming passions.

Don’t forget about Michelle Mouton, in 1985 she was overall winner at Pikes Peak which seemed to really get under Bobby Unser’s skin and he wasn’t being quiet about it, her response was to simply state “If you have the balls you can try to race me back down as well.”

On the subject of Group B and handbrakes, the early Quattros could do handbrake turns, but the co-driver had to pull a lever that would unlock the centre differential solving the problem of locking all four wheels up.

Now regarding DR2.0, Alan, I’ve seen it in the footage you’ve uploaded and it’s something that has been driving me bonkers since the EA period for DR1, I know it’s a rather fickle thing but the wipers just randomly wiping does my head in.

Thanks Bob, all of those rally guys had huge balls, those cars were lethal.

Interesting about the handbrake, I’ll be sure to investigate that further.

Added your question about wipers to the OP.

I hope that this new Dirt rally 2.0 is a step towards the hardcore simulation, an upgrade of the first Dirt rally, without falling into the ridicule of presenting two special stages long at each rally, then shorten, change the name, crossing the two directions. I hope there are no more problems of rebound than the first Dirt rally (example: the gravel brought back in galles, touch with the back or front = fly on mars).

Thanks for this feedback Alessandro, what you’ve written in this post is more of a statement rather than clear questions. If you can just list those as clear concise questions, it’ll be much easier to get answers to specific aspects.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Just taking a moment to praise your videos. It came to my knowledge that a new DR is yet to be released thanks to these uploads, so thank you for testing it and sharing with us!!

Questions asked so far were really relevant, so there are fewer things to pass forward. Only thing I can think is about the damage model in this game. DiRT2 had the best one in my opinion, since you’d be able to destroy your car. DiRT3 and DR had very gentle models, which isn’t bad but lacks reality.

I’d really like to see windshields breaking , just like on NFS Shift. It’d be nice to see the car deforming more with each roll too. It’s rally afterall.

TonkYoSelf
    Participant

The game looks awesome. I can’t wait to drive the NZ stages (in VR!)

The vegetation and road surface in not right in the gameplay video you have. Who would I email to voice my thoughts?

TonkYoSelf
    Participant

I have pre-ordered this game. I thought I should give some more detail. Obviously, the game is still in development but I guess you have to put your opinion forward.

VR
    I hope this comes out in VR. Having a game like this not in VR is like going to Disneyland but not having any rides. Anyway, it seems like the developers are not planning on it anytime soon and from my research, it’s not as simple to add as some people make it out to be. It’s a tough pill to swallow but I guess the numbers have to stack up to make this financially viable. I would rather this game exist without VR support than not at all. Because of this, I am going to change my rig which at the moment is 100% VR to include a large monitor so I can play this game.

Vegetation
    Most of the planting is accurate, but there are a few random palms that look like a species that can not be grown in NZ. The native species that you would find everywhere in NZ along our roads are the Rhopalostylis Sapida (Nikau). There is a palm that I noticed with a very broad leaf that is not able to grow in NZ. The other one is the pine trees. They are a little off.

Road Surface
    The road surface looks like clay which is not how the roads are built in NZ. The roads here are grey as they are built with greywacke or basalt rock (depending on the region and access to the local source material in quarries). The road surface in the gameplay demo really ruins the immersion for a kiwi who is so used to driving our roads.

Fencing
    The fencing we have here is post and wire. The fencing in the game demo is way different to what we have. The white markers are spot on though. Just need more as they are usually spaced every few meters.

Man, I am excited about this game.

TylerDurden4321TylerDurden4321
    Participant

I didn’t know that! Cool. That was before the adjustable torsen center diff introduced in the S1 then though, right? So the game still shouldn’t have it… or?

On Walter Röhrl:
    Sure he was a great driver, but I’m not a fan about how un-fun full of himself and his achievements he was and still is, especially considering he was really picky about what rallys he even took part in, basically only driving what he had perfect (supposedly “photographic”) memory of. Then again, the majority of champions in racing aren’t the nicest guys.

Nelly D RacerNelly D Racer
    Participant

Stuck with a nice slow car so it wasn’t obvious how bad I am at the game ??

https://youtu.be/bdFDy_JLYXw

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.