Williams employs a good driver shocker - Team VVV
Home » Topics » Motorsport » Williams employs a good driver shocker
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

News out today that George Russell will be driving for Williams F1 in 2019 has been well received and it’s great to see a high quality driver of this standard in the Williams team. Russell is expected to clinch the Formula 2 championship this year, now he’ll be facing off against Lando Norris and continuing that battle in F1. But who’s fronted the money? Williams now have a reputation of putting cash before talent, so we should assume that Mercedes have put their weight behind Russell as the next big thing. Great for British motorsport, but where does Ocon lie in all of this? Either way, it’s good news and I look forward to seeing him line up on the grid next year.

TanoopTanoop
    Participant

Yeah this is great news to see. The question here is does Ocon bring in enough money as ultimately it does boil to that to some elements.

Tim GoodchildTim Goodchild

And all of a sudden there are 3 British drivers in F1 next year.

Well we know why Perez is staying at Force Canada – he brings the Mexican money. Ocon probably relies on talent and Mercedes backing. Not necessarily what you need in F1 today to survive.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

Wasn’t Valery Markelov [last year finished 2nd to Leclerc in F2, currently 5th this year] linked to a seat at Wlliams, only for his dad (who has been financing his career) to be arrested as part of a corruption investigation earlier this month.
    That might have put a spanner in the works.

Now, whether Williams can end their downward spiral and build a working car is another question…

As for Ocon: only Williams, Racing Point, and Toro Rosso, yet to announce a second driver.
    With the current consensus saying he’ll be a test/reserve driver for Mercedes next year.

Yeah this is great news to see. The question here is does Ocon bring in enough money as ultimately it does boil to that to some elements.

Part of the problem, Ocon has, is teams are looking long term with their drivers, to develop the car in the run up to potential new regulations in 2021.
    It’s why we’ve seen some big moves around the grid (Ricciardo, Kimi, Norris, Leclerc, Gasly, Sainz). It’s about cementing a team for the upcoming years.
    So teams want drivers locked down for 2-3 years.
    But Bottas’ one-year contract at Mercedes hangs over Ocon’s head. And a team might not want to gamble on a driver who’s long term availability is in doubt, when they know they can get a driver they can keep.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger.
    Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

But Bottas’ one-year contract at Mercedes hangs over Ocon’s head. And a team might not want to gamble on a driver who’s long term availability is in doubt, when they know they can get a driver they can keep.

Yeah, its been unofficially confirmed that Williams wanted a long term option of at least two years, Ocon would only commit to one with his hopes resting on getting into Mercedes in 2020. That’s a risky move if Russell performs well. Lewis might retire or move in 2021 but in F1 terms that’s a lifetime away.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

I think Ocon, himself, would agree to a two-year deal if it guaranteed to keep him on the grid.
    But I believe his contract would have to go through Mercedes, who would want Ocon available to them at any time (encase they don’t extend Bottas’ contract, or if any unfortunate injuries in the main line-up forced someone out of action).
    And I doubt any team would want to agree to those terms at this time.

That said, I could see Williams go for it if (maybe) Mercedes agreed to do a straight switch between the two teams of Bottas for Ocon (in the case of a call-up).
    But right now, I think Williams’ concern is income.
    And for Mercedes, it might require a re-negotiation of Bottas’ contract (as it already has a 2nd-year extension ready).

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

I think Williams would go for a Ocon – Bottas swap, but with Bottas now being a race winner his price might be a little too steep.

Time out is never good for any F1 driver, Ocon really needs to have a seat especially with Norris and Russell on the grid.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

Bottas’ stock has risen.
    But if he was dropped by Mercedes after next year, where would he go?
    Most teams have drivers locked-in past 2019.

And, by then, names like Mick Schumacher will probably be floating around.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Absolutely, Bottas has taken a backward step this year, in particular his woeful performance at the Hungarian GP sticks in mind, a race where arguably he should have been black flagged for multiple race incidents.

It seems like his persona has changed, he’s trying to be more aggressive but that simply results in contact. He’s lost his composure and speed, is that pressure? Is it the team favouring Lewis? Who knows? Whatever the case, he’ll be send tumbling into the mid pack and then he’ll have to decide if he wants to remain as an also-ran or move to another series.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

Mercedes is definitely favoring Lewis until the title is sewn up. Sochi is an example of that.

Bottas knows he needs to be on the front foot.
    He got his new contract because of his strong drives in the start of the season; and should have had wins to his name this season (let down by bad luck, or bad calls). But since then, he’s pretty much been in Lewis’ shadow.
    And with Ocon and Russell wanting a spot in the team, Bottas has to prove he’s the one Mercedes want behind the wheel.

Maybe a change in persona could be what he needs.
    Right now barely anyone looks at Bottas. Even if he gets pole, or is leading the race, people are looking elsewhere. Its like he blends into the scenery.
    I get he’s not a main player in the championship. But I feel he needs to display a bit of grit.
    Otherwise he will just be seen as “the other Mercedes driver”.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.