Video of Nico Rosberg testing the new Gen 2 Formula E car - Team VVV
Home » Topics » Motorsport » Video of Nico Rosberg testing the new Gen 2 Formula E car
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Testing has begin this week with the new second generation Formula E cars. Thee will look better, perform better, offer greater speeds, much improved lap times and above all, drivers will no longer need to change cars during a race.

All sounds good, Nico Rosberg took one of the cars out for a spin in May and it was clear to see the obvious improvements in speed, both in corners and downs the straights. Having not been in a cockpit for some time you can hear Nico’s breathing increase as his body fights the g-forces. Overall he appeared to enjoy himself and the video is well worth a watch to see these new cars in action.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Alan BoistonAlan Boiston.
    Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

Today? 😛

Can’t wait to see the new cars in action with a full grid.
    I think the new cars fit the ethos of the series, wanting to be seen as new and different. And will help the series stand out more, as there’s no mistaking it for another series.
    That said, I wouldn’t call it perfect, and I’m sure the “purists” will argue over “what is open-wheel” ad-nauseam.

Though its a shame to hear people write off the series because its not fast/loud enough, or out of some sense of stubbornness towards anything without an ICE.
    And while the quality of tracks is something that I judge to be lacking; there is a serious roster of drivers in the mix.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Today? ?

Argh! Changed 😉

I think the series still needs to find its place and I can’t say I’ve ever been a fan of the fanboost option.

Behind the scenes they were never all that easy to work with, which didn’t help.

Yes, some great drivers in there, lets see the performance of these new cars, suffice to say that it will only continue to improve as the performance of the cars inevitably improves. I’m quite looking forward to seeing how it all turns out this season.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

Agreed. I think the presentation still needs some work.
    Hopefully with their own bespoke cars, we’ll start to see some of that.

I understand the safety requirements of the barriers/fences lining the track, the sponsor requirements to be on the barriers/fences, and Formula E themselves wanting their branding visible. But it does lead to a lot of tracks aesthetically looking the same (be it shot-to-shot, or track-to-track). A lot of blue, white, and grey.
    At least have some flavour of the host location to help make a track look more distinctive. Even if it’s just coloured barriers.

Also, does every on screen graphic need a chime to it? I wouldn’t mind so much if some of them didn’t sound so out of place.
    (That said, F1’s starting light “beep”s has me worried. Sounds so badly tacked-on.)

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

But it does lead to a lot of tracks aesthetically looking the same (be it shot-to-shot, or track-to-track). A lot of blue, white, and grey.
    At least have some flavour of the host location to help make a track look more distinctive. Even if it’s just coloured barriers.

Good points, they do look awfully similar and it fair to say a couple of track races would break things up a bit. I guess use of particular barriers and colours would be welcome in giving everywhere an individual flare.

Also, does every on screen graphic need a chime to it? I wouldn’t mind so much if some of them didn’t sound so out of place.
    (That said, F1’s starting light “beep”s has me worried. Sounds so badly tacked-on.)/blockquote]

Yes it’s so tacky and don’t get me started on the whole F1 lights thing, awful, just awful.

Have you seen the new Halo lights?

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

I actually forgot about the halo lights.
    So no, I’ve yet to see it in action.

Have they confirmed what it will be used for?

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

I actually forgot about the halo lights.

So no, I’ve yet to see it in action.
    Have they confirmed what it will be used for?

All I know of is the crowd boost option. We’ll have to wait and see what else they have up their sleeve.

TanoopTanoop
    Participant

the crowd boost option is not something I am keen on. They should have like a special power saving mode which they can then use after.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

the crowd boost option is not something I am keen on. They should have like a special power saving mode which they can then use after.

Isn’t that just regular race strategy? 😛

Formula E races will be shown live in the UK on Youtube (instead of just practice and qualifying).
    But will be broadcast by Youtube themselves in their London studio, with “a rotating team of YouTube influencers, anchored by regular host Laurence McKenna”.
    Hate the term “influencers”. It comes off as so transparently corporate. As if they aren’t considered people with fans, just entities with followers to be tapped into. But I digress.

A shame that its to be done in a London studio. There’s always a disconnected feeling when something is presented away from the event itself.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Hate the term “influencers”. It comes off as so transparently corporate. As if they aren’t considered people with fans, just entities with followers to be tapped into. But I digress.

A shame that its to be done in a London studio. There’s always a disconnected feeling when something is presented away from the event itself.

The term Influencers is now a negative one, we certainly don’t consider ourselves an influencer, instead if somebody uses that term I say we are media. But unlike media some influencers have no neutral judgement or detachment. Many are probably paid off and what’s worse is their followers often know this but don’t unfollow them. So, that means pro-Formula E YouTuber’s with no helpful debate or neutrality, also most of then don’t appeal to an older audience, so that will just lead to youth audience only.

Studio’s always work better at the event, but don’t right, you can fool the audience somewhat. Like some news stations that are in front of a green screen.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

But unlike media some influencers have no neutral judgement or detachment. Many are probably paid off and what’s worse is their followers often know this but don’t unfollow them. So, that means pro-Formula E YouTuber’s with no helpful debate or neutrality, also most of then don’t appeal to an older audience, so that will just lead to youth audience only.

True. The first thing that pops into my head when I think “Youtube influencers” is the Shadow of Mordor early coverage debacle.

My first instinct is its a pretty ham-fisted approach to getting more viewers. With the influencers there primarily to sit around looking pretty while the show tries to look cool by association.
    I could easily be wrong. I can’t say I know them, or can speak for the presentation skills. And Formula E doesn’t shy away from trying new things.

Its not like it can be as bad as the NFS Payback presentation at E3, can it? 😛

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.