Game: DiRT Rally 2.0
Release Date: 26/02/2019
Codemasters has finally added virtual reality support to DiRT Rally 2.0 – though only for players on the PC with Oculus headsets.
Upon installing the latest “version 1.7” update, players of the rally racing game on Steam will be able to experience the game using their Oculus devices. This, the developers claim, will allow players to “put themselves directly into the driver’s seat and fully experience every inch of each stage“; adding the new POV means ” players will now be able to fully appreciate the track degradation as it cuts-up as cars pass through the stage“.
Oculus users who haven’t bought DiRT Rally 2.0 on Steam will still be able to experience the game in VR, as the title is also available on the Oculus Store. Players who purchase the game through here will have access to exclusive car liveries, as well as time-limited challenges only available to Oculus users.
While Codemasters has likely delighted players on PC who have Oculus headsets, it does have some bad news for users on the PlayStation 4 who shelled out for a PSVR device. Though the studio did release a PSVR version of the original DiRT Rally in 2017, it has confirmed there currently aren’t any plans to do the same for DiRT Rally 2.0.
For the time being, then, PC players will be the only ones who’ll have access to the, in theory, most immersive DiRT Rally 2.0 experience. However, other aspects of the 1.7 update will be available for all players across all platforms; namely, the DirtFish Rally School locale that’s now available as a “Test Drive” area for players to get a feel for their cars.
The full patch notes for DiRT Rally 2.0’s 1.7 update have been listed below:
- Added support for OpenVR (Steam version only)
- New Location: DirtFish (Test Drive only)
- New Livery: DirtFish – SUBARU WRX STI NR4
- New Livery: DirtFish – Opel Adam R2
- New Livery: DirtFish – Ford Fiesta OMSE SuperCar Lites
- New Livery: DirtFish – BMW E30 M3 Evo Rally
- New Livery: Per-Inge Walfridsson – Lancia Stratos
- Resolved issue where negative times were being displayed on Leaderboards.
- Tyre compound choice will no longer reset to Medium after every Stage.
- Added support for more scheduling options when setting up Club Championships.
- Added Turbocharger audio to Lancia Delta S4 (Rally).
- Resolved texture error on Ford Escort RS Cosworth.
- Resolved texture error with bonnet underside on Citroën C3 R5.
- Resolved issue with Porsche 911 RGT Rally Spec’s brake lights not working.
- Resolved issue with Snow Tyres not visually attaching to axles of Volkswagen Polo R5.
- Improved appearance of ŠKODA Fabia Rally (Up to 2000cc) tail lights and spoiler.
- Bikernieki, Latvia – Corrected grid slot ordering for Rallycross Heats
- Bikernieki, Latvia – Resolved issue where starting lights would not activate.
- Bikernieki, Latvia – Resolved collision issue with specific rumble strip.
- Łęczna County, Poland – Improved lighting effects on grass.
- Łęczna County, Poland – Corrected time of sunset from 04:16 to 18:55.
- Resolved issue where Engine Upgrades 5 and 6 for Peugeot 205 T16 Rallycross were inverted.
- Resolved issue where ghost targets were not tracking correctly on Stage progress bars.
- Added new Achievement – The Home Favourite – Win in Latvia in the Reinis Nitišs Ford Fiesta Rallycross (MK7)
- Added new Achievement – Mr Rallycross – Win 3 Rallycross Events in the Ford RS200 Evolution
- Added new Achievement – The Hills are Alive… – Complete an Event in Wales
- Added new Achievement – SEND IT – Win at Estering in Kevin Eriksson’s Ford Fiesta Rallycross (MK8)
- Made fixes to certain issues preventing “Adaptable” from unlocking.
- Portuguese – Correction to text translation of “Hard Tyres”.
- German – Correction to text message for when users load a Tuning Setup.
- Spanish – Corrected co-driver callouts for certain turns on Polish stages.
- Added official support for Fanatec ClubSport Steering Wheel Formula V2 (AO) on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
- General stability improvements and minor bug fixes throughout the game.
It’s not just Oculus headsets, OpenVR means works with the Vive too.