This week Funstock Retro announced the arrival of the new JXD S192 NVIDIA Android Retro Gaming Tablet. Sequel to the amazing yet unimaginatively titled JXD S7800b, this new handheld ups the ante with improved performance and a completed redesign of the chassis.
The overall design has seen a significant overhaul with the analogue sticks placed lower on the device, this giving the indication that modern twin stick gaming will take priority. White triggers now feature two buttons on new ergonomically shaped hand pieces either site. But most importantly the large screen survives intact, it was always great on the previous model and now with a 1920 x 1200 pixel, full HD Retina display it should look amazing.
The JXDS7800b is by far the best handheld I’ve ever used, it might not be as powerful or as portable as the GPD but that larger screen makes all the difference, a small sacrifice of weight and size for a near perfect experience. Though it wasn’t entirelly perfect, the analogue sticks were poorly made and implemented, giving a feeling that their addition was more as an afterthought rather than a clear design direction. Though this didn’t impact on my enjoyment as I usually played retro titles with the D-pad. If you want to see my review of the JXDS7800b, click here. Or check out the video below.
Official specs of the new JXD S192 below, I haven’t tested one myself but if we do manage to get a hands on you can look forward to a video in the future. The system is expected to be released in May and you can pre-order it now from Funstock Retro.
- New Controller Crip styled design
- 7 inch, 1920 x 1200 pixel, full HD Retina display
- 10000mAh Lithium-ion Polymer battery with up to 11 hours of usage
- 13 MegaPixel Camera on the B ack; with 5 MegaPixel Camera on the front
- 32GB Built-in Storage with SD Card Support for up to 128GB
- NVIDIA Terga K1 Quad-Core Graphics Chip
- 2.0 Ghz ARM Cortex-A15 Processor with 2GB DDR3 Ram
- Download and play your favourite retro games directly from the device
- Play games using your own Xbox 360 or PS3 Controller via the USB Port.
- Dual-Screen output via HDMI with full 1080p resolution support
- All-in-one Entertainment device; browse the internet, watch videos, listen to music and play games.