With DriveClub VR recently confirmed as a launch title for PlayStation VR, we've been wondering how much it will cost – especially as the content has been pared back from the original game.
A post on PlayStation Blog has confirmed that DriveClub VR will be available as both a physical Blu-Ray release and digital download at launch and will retail for €39.99. In the UK, DriveClub's former Game Director Paul Rustchynsky confirmed on Twitter that DriveClub VR will retail for £34.99.
Existing DriveClub owners may feel disgruntled at having to shell out for the VR edition. However, existing DriveClub season pass owners will be entitled to a discount with the option to purchase DriveClub VR digital upgrade for €19.99 – providing you bought a season pass before 00:00 AM BST September 29th 2016…which is today.
The blog also goes into detail about the hurdles the team faced developing DriveClub VR: "Recreating Driveclub as a standalone VR title was a huge task. As you know, Driveclub had a vast amount of content, so re-engineering the game to render everything in stereoscopic 3D, natively at 60Hz and then adding the head tracking with 120Hz visuals took a long time. In addition, the team added several VR-specific features and made the game look every bit as amazing as you would expect."
Interestingly, it also confirms that Evolution Studios were involved with the project after they were shutdown earlier this year: "The majority of the game was completed by Evolution, with the remainder carried out by a dedicated team comprised of Evolution Studios veterans, several of which now are also members of the WWS Immersive Technology Group – so you can be assured that Driveclub VR is in safe hands."
DriveClub VR will feature 114 tracks including five new urban locations, over 80 cars and plenty of other VR-exclusive features and modes. Rustchynsky also confirmed on Twitter that the new tracks included in DriveClub VR will be added to the standard game in a future update.
Here's a reminder of all the new modes you can look forward to in DriveClub VR:
- Game modes: Online virtual reality multiplayer race modes and an action-packed single player career are joined by drifting and time trial challenges
- Tracks: New and classic Driveclub tracks are brought to life through the power of PlayStation VR, including five all-new Urban locations
- A closer look: Every car is recreated with immaculate detail for players to explore up close with Inspection Mode
- Cruise control: A little time to kick back, open the throttle or just coast and explore any track, in any country at your leisure in Cruise Mode.
- Virtual passenger: An immersive thrill ride through exciting replays of hot laps as players watch themselves handle their greatest challenges from a unique viewpoint in Passenger Mode.