The latest update for Gran Turismo 6 has just been released, adding an all-new 'Vision Gran Turismo' concept car for players to acquire and use exclusively in the game.
Heavily inspired by BMW's famous touring cars from the 1970s, and seemingly based quite heavily on the current BMW 2 Series production car, the BMW Vision Gran Turismo is the first VGT car to be released in GT6 since the Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo Racing Series was added in January's V1.04 update.
Whilst undoubtedly a homage to the firm's past, BMW's VGT is a fictional showcase of the possible technologies that could be used if the car was made in real life. An extensive use of carbon fibre means the BMW VGT weighs in at just 1,180kg, whilst the extensive front and rear aero items further increases the car's theoretical cornering speeds.
Power comes from one of BMW's three-litre, twin turbocharged six-cylinder engines, which produces a claimed 541hp and a meaty 680Nm of torque. No performance stats have been cited at time of writing, though the potency of the powertrain does suggest the BMW VGT will be one of the faster fictional touring cars in the game.
Though the BMW VGT can be bought with in-game Credits in GT6's 'Vision Gran Turismo' section, players are also able to win the car by completing one lap in the specially-released 'BMW Vision GT Super Lap' Seasonal Event, regardless of whether you're able to match any of the time requirements.
Other features added in the V1.07 update include new display options for Gran Turismo 6's replays, along with more extensive settings for GT6's online races.
With the update weighing in at a sizeable 981MB, it's also likely that Gran Turismo 6's upcoming 'Senna Tribute' content has also been shoe-horned into the game through V1,07, waiting to be unlocked on May 27th later this year.
The full patch notes for Gran Turismo 6 V1.07 can be found below:
Vision Gran Turismo
- The “BMW Vision Gran Turismo” has been released. Experience the modern road racer created by the BMW design team, resurrecting the excitement and passion of 1970’s touring cars in present day form.
- After the update has been installed, the car can be purchased from the [Vision GT] option within the [CARS] section in "My Home". Alternatively, it is also possible to obtain the car by completing a lap (regardless of the lap time) in the new Seasonal Event, available only for a limited time.
Adjustments to the Open Lobby
- [Endurance Race] has been added to the [Room Mode] option within [Basic Settings] of the "Event Settings" screen.
- [Tyre/Fuel Depletion] has been added to the [Time Trial Settings] options ("Off", "Normal", "Fast" or "Very Fast" can be selected).
- [Start Type] has been added to the [Race Settings] for "Qualifier", "Time Trial" and "Drift Trial", allowing you to select from [Final Corner Start] or [Pit Start].
- When [Grid Start with False Start Check] is selected in [Race Settings], signal lights will be displayed as start indicators.
New features added to "Replay" and "Watch Race" modes
- Button controls can now be used to: Switch between "Full View" and "Live Timing"; to turn the "Driver List Display" ON/OFF; to switch the "Information display" and to change the target car.
- The "Keyboard Switching Feature" has been added. A USB keyboard can be used to switch the "Information Display" and to change the view.