What do you make of the PS Classic lineup? - Team VVV
Home » Topics » General Gaming » What do you make of the PS Classic lineup?
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    James AllenJames Allen
    Participant

Title says it all, really – what are your thoughts on the games that’ll be on the PlayStation Classic?

Personally, I reckon the lineup’s pretty decent. Can see why some are disappointed (big shame there’s no Wipeout, for instance), but it’s still a good selection IMO.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

It’s a disappointing list but it doesn’t represent what made the console popular, nor the culture that drove their success. I’ve put together my own list which better represents that. It’s also worth noting that the title that sold the best, weren’t always the best titles.

I’ve added a personal selection below.

Of these, Ridge Racer was a seminal title that sold the system to the world, an incredible omission.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Alan BoistonAlan Boiston.
    James AllenJames Allen
    Participant

I agree, the original Ridge Racer is an unusual game to omit. Would’ve thought it was a no-brainer, considering how important it was to the system.

Perhaps doesn’t help that many of the PS Classic’s games are on the PS Store too (albeit for the PS3, PSP and PSVita only). For me, knowing I can pick up the OG Destruction Derby and Metal Gear Solid for a few quid diminishes the Classic’s appeal somewhat.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Ideally you’d have had around 40 titles and perhaps some demo’s as well, Demo 1 inclusion would have been nice. Ultimately it’s a poor offering and let’s down Sony’s own heritage.

Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley
    Keymaster

When I think of PS1 games I immediately think of three series: Tomb Raider, Resident Evil, and Gran Turismo. The fact that only one of these three are on the 20 is surprising. Would’ve also liked to have seen a game from the following series included: Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Driver, Tony Hawks, and Silent Hill.

Here’s the official list:

Battle Arena Toshinden
    Cool Boarders 2
    Destruction Derby
    Final Fantasy VII
    Grand Theft Auto
    Intelligent Qube
    Jumping Flash
    Metal Gear Solid
    Mr Driller
    Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
    Rayman
    Resident Evil Director’s Cut
    Revelations: Persona
    Ridge Racer Type 4
    Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
    Syphon Filter
    Tekken 3
    Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
    Twisted Metal
    Wild Arms

EarlEarl
    Participant

Perhaps more important than the list of games is the fact it’s using a not-brilliant freeware emulator to power the whole thing. Very lazy, very cheap. A definite no-buy from me. Extremely disappointed in Sony’s cash-grab here.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Perhaps more important than the list of games is the fact it’s using a not-brilliant freeware emulator to power the whole thing. Very lazy, very cheap. A definite no-buy from me. Extremely disappointed in Sony’s cash-grab here.

Absolutely, the whole thing is an embarrassment to Sony and ridicules their own heritage.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.