pCARS2 DLC: Ferrari Essentials Pack - Impressions - Team VVV
Home » Topics » Racing Gaming » pCARS2 DLC: Ferrari Essentials Pack – Impressions
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    TylerDurden4321TylerDurden4321
    Participant

I tried most of the cars for a few laps…

As always in pCARS2 all tires with a higher sidewall (most cars from before 2000 and especially bias ply ones) have way too much grip and I can’t get my brain to forget how unrealistic/bad this is (especially the tire compound called “Track” for older cars, “Vintage” is a little better, but none of the new Ferrari cars come with that compound as an option).
    Bad tires aside, I think the suspension and setup on the Testarossa seems well done.

Newer cars:
    Had a discussion with my friend, Dan, on another forum about half a year ago, where all the newer higher power street legal cars have this “pull to one side” “torque-steer-esque” phenomenon under high acceleration from lower speeds. We were talking about the La Ferrari in particular, it’s very extreme there. I think we settled on “we don’t know how the real cars behaves with electronic aids, maybe without computer controlled dampers, anti-roll bars and hybrid-system integrated traction control, pCARS just doesn’t simulate those, maybe without it, that’s exactly how the car would handle”. Most other pCARS2 cars that show this extreme behavior would have traction control IRL.
    Now the Ferrari F40, which doesn’t have any traction aids whatsoever, does the same thing. Also, it has too much grip.

The F355, the La Ferrari FXX k, F12Tdf… if you put on weaker tires (“Club” or “street” compound)… they drive kinda nice. Still too much grip, when accelerating out of a corner, but really good. Especially from the La Ferrari FXX k, I didn’t expect anything from SMS. But it’s actually really fun to drive.

Yea, Mugello is nice too, from what I could tell so far.

But what are your opinions on the Ferrari Essentials Pack?

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Certainly sounds like there’s a lot to get your teeth into in terms of debating the handling. I’ve popped a link to this one our FB page, will be good to get more feedback. The car being drawn to one side is interesting, I’m assuming the chassis were designed for the consistent power output.

I always enjoy Mugello, so smooth.

Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley
    Keymaster

I’ve always found my racing games/sims get low-speed physics very wrong in general.

TravisTravis
    Participant

The DLC has been pretty good and was on sale recently. The entire sim is on sale right now.

That said, SMS and accuracy aren’t best friends. The vintage Le Mans track looks sensational but I can pass cars on the grass at over 370 km/h without issue. The lap records are 20+ seconds faster than the real records!

No sim is 100% accurate despite the claims however I find pCARS 2 to be the most relaxed of the current PC sims.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

The DLC has been pretty good and was on sale recently. The entire sim is on sale right now.
    That said, SMS and accuracy aren’t best friends. The vintage Le Mans track looks sensational but I can pass cars on the grass at over 370 km/h without issue. The lap records are 20+ seconds faster than the real records!
    No sim is 100% accurate despite the claims however I find pCARS 2 to be the most relaxed of the current PC sims.

My experience was that different classes feel very different to drive. I can’t judge on authenticity, but instead my on perception and how intuitive they are to drive. In that sense it was a mixed bag and the turning required to make some cars feel more natural was an indication of how bad the stock models were.

Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley
    Keymaster

I always have an adjustment period when I’m playing PCARS, something I don’t get with the very intuitive driving models of GT Sport and Assetto Corsa. There’s something off with the fluidity of the vehicles.

TravisTravis
    Participant

A gree that some cars in pCARS 2 drive really well and others are awful no matter if they are fettled or you’ve downloaded the WR ghost set-ups.

I have a love/hate relationship with all SMS releases. NFS: Shift was solid after several patches. The Unofficial Community mod (PC only), did wonders to make the game into GTR 2.5.

NFS: Shift Unleashed was an improved version of the first game with even more official licences and was far less buggy. Again the Unofficial Community Mod fixed a lot of the issues SMS couldn’t fix and tyre ‘polish’ mod took Unleashed from quasi-realism to GTR 2.8.

pCARS is a mess albeit a very pretty mess. An interesting funding idea, viral marketing and some frankly outrageous claims by WMD members and the dev team meant pCARS was to be the sim of all sims. At release the game was a mixed bag; controls always felt off and the physics left me wondering if my wheel and pedals were broken. Many issues were left unresolved (with no unofficial fixes) as SMS moved on.

pCARS 2 is everything pCARS should have been!

The dev’s admitted they had missed controller code in the original game that caused some odd vehicle behaviour. That said, pCARS 2 has some sublime cars & others (e.g. most of the road cars) that are very odd feeling to drive. The tyres can feel awsome in one car and class and terrible across many others. There is no doubt SMS tried to move on from existing tyre models but I’m not sure if they were successful in doing so.

No more DLC will be released and only serious bugs will be fixed which means the crazy track cut penalties won’t be fixed as well as the list of outstanding issues found on the official forums. It’s still a solid experience even with these niggles.

Also the in-game weather when set to real no longer works as SMS’s openweather API key has expired! There is a fix by Mr Belowski (he of Crew Chief fame) on the Race Department forum but this shouldn’t be left to a user to fix.

pCARS 2 can be sublime in the right conditions; you just got to work to find them!

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by TravisTravis.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.