Heya Praetorians! (TylerDurden432) - Team VVV
Home » Topics » F.A.Q. » Heya Praetorians! (TylerDurden432)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    TylerDurden4321TylerDurden4321
    Participant

Alan may remember me from NeoGAF times, handle was the same. (moved to ResetERA last year)
    And about that handle: Yes it’s dumb, but in 1999 Fight Club was the first R-rated movie I legally saw at a cinema, was blown away and made this TylerDurden4321 AIM name (that’s AOL instant messenger for the younger ones) the next day and have stuck with it since for whatever reason.

I play all sorts of stuff, mostly off-line, but racing games:

Early racing game memories:
    Battle mode in SNES Mario Kart, Rock’n’Roll racing (just in general), factory driver career with driving tests in Porsche Unleashed, replicating that crash from Freejack in Grand Prix 2 and giving the replay-file to friends on a floppy disk in school.

First wheel was a Logitech Wingman Formula Force GP.

In the 2000s driving aids, rewind-features and the dynamic racing line made me go back to racing games like Dirt 2, FM3 and GT5, but only as a side dish.

With FM5 really low grip and constant wheel-spin combined with the great graphics and car interiors, driving games felt realistic to me for the first (which of course was total BS). When the leaderboards there then told me “you don’t completely suck at this”, I fell in love with that game.
    One thing really bothered me though: The “understeer” on the controller. By that I mean that the speed-sensitive steering, which doesn’t let you turn-in enough to make certain hairpins at decent speeds. I was screaming at the screen “I know the car can take that corner at this speed, and if not, make me slide off, it’s ok, but LET ME TURN IN MORE AND SHOW ME!”. So, I went and got a Thrustmaster TX to be able to turn in as much as I like …and shortly after a T500 for GT6.

Since then I’ve been a little more involved and now mostly play PC sims. Automobilista and Assetto Corsa are my favorites, but I like pCARS2 (not 1 so much), rFactor 2 and RaceRoom as well, iRacing seemed too expensive.

What else?
    I’ve gotten into the science of race car physics and made a Porsche 944 Turbo S mod for Assetto Corsa, with which’s “emulated” rear suspension I was never happy.

Oh, and I do physics tests on racing games, especially when I feel something is fishy.
    Example:

If anyone wants to know, how I got the data, you can read up on it on the ResetERA Racing Games Physics thread[/url], there is more data and tests on there too.

Btw. the new VVV site really looks fantastic! You should be really proud, @Alan!

Content suggestion: “Explained” videos.
    For example a video about the new steering ratio drift tuning in FM7. This will surely be back in Forza Horizon 4 and could generate a lot of views. Show people what “steering lock”, “steering ratio” is on a real car (maybe ackermann, camber, caster, toe and tire pressure for drift setups too). My most watched video on YouTube was done in a hour to show something to just one single fellow Gaffer about the differences between Forza’s “Normal” and “Simulation” steering and now has thousands of views.

EDIT: Font size problems (default size is reall big imo) and if I put

size="Small"

on everything, it only works on the first paragraph.

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

Hi Tyler, great to see you on the forum and thanks for the in-depth introduction, of course I remember the NeoGaf’ers. 😉 and it will be great to see more of you here as we get better organised. I’ll sort the font btw, it’s a touch too large but helpful for my eyes which aren’t always the best. This forum is still a work in progress and there are new elements planned in the coming months and years.

Great to see your feedback on your racing gaming history, that is something I really want to explore with this site in terms of a great history of racing games out there. Ah Forza 5, well we’ve all got to start somewhere 😉 and at least it drove you to using a wheel, now there’s no going back.

Loving the telemetry data, look forward to seeing your feedback, feel free to create a OT or dedicated thread for your sim physics chat. Ben Green will be on the forum later this year and it will be great to involve him and other racing drivers in physics debate.

Btw. the new VVV site really looks fantastic! You should be really proud, @Alan!

Thanks for the kind words, really appreciate it! It’s been a lot of work bringing this together over many months and a relief to finally be able to interact with it.

That’s a great idea for content, I have many more myself but alas I’m at the limit of my workload. If we find more writers and video content creators who want to contribute, that will definitely be on the list.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.