Best Retro Console - Team VVV
Home » Topics » Retro Gaming » Best Retro Console

What would you consider out of the list is the best Retro console ever made?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • NES
  • Master System
  • SNES
  • Mega Drive
  • PS1
  • N64
  • Atari 5200
  • Philips CD-i
  • Amiga CD 32
  • 3DO
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    TanoopTanoop
    Participant

So in your own opinion.. what do you reckon is the best Retro console ever created?

Alan BoistonAlan Boiston
    Keymaster

It’s always difficult to be definitive on these things, the MegaDrive and SNES gave so much joy, but the PS1 was such a leap. The Playstation blew our minds, it made games possible that were previously unthinkable. Though many of my personal top 10 games are MD and SNES, I could never get bored with the PS1 selection. Games were simpler is design, yet more complete. There was a more daring vision to development ideas and the scale of some tiles such as Magic Carpet, G-Police and Colony was was on another level.

I was going through the shed recently, took a few photos of the boxes, these all represent the stuff of dreams. Gaming from a simpler time before online gaming over-complicated everything.

TravisTravis
    Participant

SNES for me.

Tim GoodchildTim Goodchild

I was quite late into playing on consoles, going from Atari ST to PC in the 1980s up to mid 1990s. Spent many an afternoon playing gems such as Geoff Crammond Grand Prix, Sid Meier’s Pirates, F-19 Stealth Fighter and Star Trek: 25th Anniversary on all on PC…But it was the Sony PlayStation that got me hooked into consoles and of course who can forget that amazing electric guitar opening video on Formula 1. So PS1 it is.

Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley
    Keymaster

I’ve voted NES thanks to classics such as the Super Mario Brothers games which were simply amazing at the time. Other highlights for me were Turtles, Life Force, Punch Out, Double Dragon, too many to think of!

The NES was an incredibly important console which pretty much saved the console gaming market after the mess left by Atari at the time.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley.
    Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

Its a tough one.
    I have to say the SNES.

The NES helped to reestablish the console market.
    But, at least to me, the SNES reaffirmed the foundation, and its game library is what pushes it ahead.

EarlEarl
    Participant

Letting us only choose one was CRUEL! Haha!

I started gaming on the ZX Spectrum 128k and got really serious about gaming with the Amiga 500 (which I may have chosen if it was on the list).
    However, I have to agree with Alan, the PS1 was such a huge leap. It was also the first time that I felt that almost everyone I knew had the same system as me. Even “casual” players were obsessed with the PS1.

My final case is it was the first console I really discovered the joy of imports – and there was such a huge library of weird and wonderful games from Japan on that system, which were still very playable for somebody who doesn’t know the language.

I’ll never forget launch day, popping in Ridge Racer and saying out loud “oh my… it’s as good as the arcade!”. Of course, it wasn’t quite, but on your home TV, it was good enough!

Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley
    Keymaster

Playing Ridge Racer at home was amazing, as was playing Street Fighter II on the SNES, arcade at home feeling!

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

I won’t deny that the PS1 made a major impact.

Even the PS1 price announcement was a bombshell moment that will probably never be matched.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.