Are F1 races getting boring? - Team VVV
Home » Topics » Motorsport » Are F1 races getting boring?

Are F1 Races getting boring?

You must be logged in to participate.
  • Yes
  • No
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    TanoopTanoop
    Participant

Hey,

So in the last few races we are getting to a point where races are getting boring as the person that has 1st place stays there and nothing else happens. I love the sport with a passion but for new viewers they have the perception that once you have 1st place then that’s where you are going to finish. Something really needs to be done. So I wanted to know if people are beginning to feel the same and what could maybe spice it up.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Alan BoistonAlan Boiston.
    Tim GoodchildTim Goodchild

The age old problem of Formula One. We all like to critique the sport but its always had its eras of domination. I started watching it around 1992/1993, which was when Schumacher was starting to come to the fore – I remember many a Sunday afternoon watching Williams, then McLaren, then Ferrari all take it in turns to create snooze-fest races. I don’t think that will ever change. That said I’d do the following:

1. Stop trying to turn F1 into endurance racing. Build cars that last 200 miles. A gearbox that lasts 6 races and an engine that last 7 races does nothing for me. We need reliability to be on the edge – some of the greatest races of the 90s were when the top teams had reliability issues allowing for a midfield team through to score a podium.

2. Change the format of the weekend. Turn Friday into a media day for fans. Saturday starts with a 60 minute practice session before we go straight into qualifying. Scrap parc ferme rules. Sunday morning we bring back warm-up and practice sessions designed to hone your car for the race. Not having loads of practice to get your setup right ready for quali could result in an unsettled grid yet not upsetting the look and feel of the race weekend.

3. All teams should run 3-cars. As Toto Wolff suggested the 3rd car can only have a driver in it with less than 2 years F1 experience. This could allow for teams to offer sponsored drives as well. We all loved seeing Alonso drive at Indy 500 – this could allow for one-off races for drivers anywhere to drive at Monaco.

-tg.

Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
    Participant

Yeah. This is nothing new.

It doesn’t help, this year, that there have been so many races that could have been gripping. Only for something to happen early in the race, ruin it, and the rest of the race doesn’t live up to the hype as a result. Much like Vettel’s spin, at the start in Monza, just leaving us with Kimi vs Mercedes.

I think F1 could be better served with tweaks, than major overhauls.
    As much as I like the look of the current cars. The whole “make them 5-seconds faster” stank of PR and headline grabbing, than actually improving the series.
    And people are too quick to call for certain elements to return:
    “Bring back refueling”, “bring back a tyre war”, “bring back the bulletproof Bridgestones”,…
    Things F1 has been trying to move from for the last decade because they weren’t helping.
    It feels like grasping at straws.

I’m interested to see what the new front wing regulations bring next year. Although making the rear wings bigger to make DRS more powerful has me less excited.

Stop trying to turn F1 into endurance racing. Build cars that last 200 miles. A gearbox that lasts 6 races and an engine that last 7 races does nothing for me.

Yeah, it doesn’t save on costs either (as small teams will run as many engines as they need to). But I understand its there to discourage the top teams from just bolting new engines as they please. But three is too small an allocation. There’s no point in penalizing teams for using extra engines when you haven’t given them the appropriate amount in the first place.

I’d try to simplify it. Six engines per allocation. Use them how you like (no minimum races to run before changing parts). 10-place grid penalty for extra engines (so buying extra engines buys you a grid penalty).

All teams should run 3-cars. As Toto Wolff suggested the 3rd car can only have a driver in it with less than 2 years F1 experience.

This is a big “no” for me.
    I only see it as a way for big teams to gain more power and influence (both on and off the track). Likely at the cost of smaller teams and potential new competitors.

Kevin DooleyKevin Dooley
    Keymaster

After countless years of watching, I haven’t bothered for the last couple of years! I will get back into it next March no doubt, maybe, okay maybe not, I’m not sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.