- Team VVV
Home » Motorsport » Are F1 races getting boring? » Reply To: Are F1 races getting boring?
Ninja-BadgerNinja-Badger
Participant

Yeah. This is nothing new.

It doesn’t help, this year, that there have been so many races that could have been gripping. Only for something to happen early in the race, ruin it, and the rest of the race doesn’t live up to the hype as a result. Much like Vettel’s spin, at the start in Monza, just leaving us with Kimi vs Mercedes.

I think F1 could be better served with tweaks, than major overhauls.
As much as I like the look of the current cars. The whole “make them 5-seconds faster” stank of PR and headline grabbing, than actually improving the series.
And people are too quick to call for certain elements to return:
“Bring back refueling”, “bring back a tyre war”, “bring back the bulletproof Bridgestones”,…
Things F1 has been trying to move from for the last decade because they weren’t helping.
It feels like grasping at straws.

I’m interested to see what the new front wing regulations bring next year. Although making the rear wings bigger to make DRS more powerful has me less excited.

Stop trying to turn F1 into endurance racing. Build cars that last 200 miles. A gearbox that lasts 6 races and an engine that last 7 races does nothing for me.

Yeah, it doesn’t save on costs either (as small teams will run as many engines as they need to). But I understand its there to discourage the top teams from just bolting new engines as they please. But three is too small an allocation. There’s no point in penalizing teams for using extra engines when you haven’t given them the appropriate amount in the first place.

I’d try to simplify it. Six engines per allocation. Use them how you like (no minimum races to run before changing parts). 10-place grid penalty for extra engines (so buying extra engines buys you a grid penalty).

All teams should run 3-cars. As Toto Wolff suggested the 3rd car can only have a driver in it with less than 2 years F1 experience.

This is a big “no” for me.
I only see it as a way for big teams to gain more power and influence (both on and off the track). Likely at the cost of smaller teams and potential new competitors.